Sea Technology

JAN 2019

The industry's recognized authority for design, engineering and application of equipment and services in the global ocean community

Issue link: https://sea-technology.epubxp.com/i/1082580

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 14 of 49

www.sea-technology.com January 2019 | ST 15 the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary was $5.9 billion. The sanctuary also supports the Monterey Bay Aquarium—which in 2009 saw 2 million visitors and produced $71 million in direct spending. Just north of the Monterey National Marine Sanctuary, commercial fishing in the Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary created almost $1.7 million in economic out- put on a three-year average. In the Greater Farallones Na- tional Marine Sanctuary, on a three-year average, com- mercial fishing earned more than $15 million in harvest revenues. California's marine sanctuaries were the product of years of public engagement with local communities and enjoy wide support throughout California. In supporting our marine sanctuaries, we recognize that healthy sus- tainable ecosystems and economic growth are not mu- tually exclusive. As a representative for California's unparalleled coast- line in Congress, I will continue to fight for better ocean management policies that protect our marine sanctuaries and grow our economy. ST cal economy. In California, our national marine sanctu- aries are economic hubs that generate millions of dollars in economic activity and support thousands of jobs along the coastline. They are vital to sustaining the state's $1.9 trillion coastal economy. NOAA estimates that between 2010 and 2012, harvest from commercial fishing in four California national marine sanctuaries produced about $69.2 million. This had a multiplier effect, which gener- ated $70 million in income that supported 1,840 coastal jobs. Despite these abundant and clear benefits to our economy, President Donald Trump wants to open up these protected areas for dirty fossil fuel development. Last year, President Trump ordered a secret review of our national marine sanctuaries and monuments to assess new locations for offshore oil and gas leasing. Fifty-three thousand public comments filed with the Department of Commerce expressed support for con- tinuing to guard our marine monuments and sanctuaries from oil and gas exploration (https://bit.ly/2i0zYPn). Despite the public's desire to protect these public wa- ters, the administration has failed to provide the Ameri- can people a clear outline of what the future holds for our ocean resources. The overwhelming support is unsurprising consider- ing the catastrophic consequences many of our coastal communities have experienced from pipeline ruptures and oil spills. In January of 1969, an oil spill from a drilling platform off the coast of Santa Barbara County spewed more than 3 million gallons of crude oil into the Pacific shoreline. It was the largest oil spill in California's history, with lasting effects on Santa Barbara's unique marine life and econ- omy. The 1969 oil spill was followed by the 2015 Refu- gio oil spill, also off Santa Barbara County, that spilled more than 100,000 gallons of crude oil into our oceans and shut down commercial fisheries. This had profound consequences on Santa Barbara's local economy, which relies heavily on the red sea urchin and the red rock crab. In 2013 alone, the red sea urchin generated $3.3 million for Santa Barbara's economy and constituted 32 percent of the state's total sea urchin commercial fishing industry. Rescinding any marine sanctuary designation or de- creasing any current boundaries to allow for offshore drilling would threaten marine resources that help sus- tain commercial fisheries and local tourism, both of which are essential to California's economy. The Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary and National Park hosts one-third of Southern California's kelp forests, which is the California red sea urchin's main source of food and a multimillion-dollar fishery that con- tributes to our sushi industry. Similarly, travel and tourism accounts for one out of eight jobs in the Central Coast. The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, often referred to as the Serengeti of the Sea, is internationally recognized for its truly unique wildlife views, and thou- sands of people travel far and wide to see this one-of- a-kind treasure. NOAA reported that total travel spend- ing revenue in 2003 for the five counties adjacent to Review&Forecast Strengthening the Nation's Blue Economy By RAdm. Timothy Gallaudet, Ph.D., U.S. Navy (retired) Assistant Secretary of U.S. Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere, Acting Head NOAA W hen I retired as oceanographer of the U.S. Navy after 32 years of service, I thought my days pursu- ing my passion for the oceans might be over. However, I could not have found myself in a more exciting position than leading the United States National Oce- anic and Atmospheric Administration. Now, more than a year into this position, I continue to learn about the innovative products and services that NOAA provides the American public, busi- nesses and industry, which help strengthen our economy. Some are critical, life-saving tools, based on fundamental science, environmental observations and forecasts, and others ensure strong conservation and restoration of our ocean and coastal resources. Among the major commercial beneficiaries of these activities are the seafood supply chain, maritime ship- ping, offshore energy and mineral exploration, as well as coastal tourism and recreation businesses. These in- dustries are part of our nation's growing blue economy. Supporting and advancing the blue economy is a crucial part of NOAA's role in the Department of Commerce.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Sea Technology - JAN 2019